Friday, February 25, 2011

Motherhood


As I was driving home from class today I had a few thoughts on motherhood.

1: You know you’re a mom when you feel a great sense of accomplishment after shaving your legs.

2: You know you’re a Mom when you go to take off your pants and are surprised by the fact that the button isn’t a snap.

3: You know you’re a mom on the verge of losing your social skills when you accidently start dropping words like “potty” and “ouchie” in adult conversation.

4: You know you have a two-year-old when you have to put up with more drama in the 15 minutes before bedtime than in a whole season of the Bachelor. 

5: You know you’re a mom when that fine line between love and masochism starts to become fuzzy and maybe even non-existent.

Haha, that last one came to me while I was nursing today. John is teething….so, well…I guess there’s not much more to say than that. The crazy part isn’t that we continue to nurse our kids even when they have razor sharp little fangs. The crazy part is that even after being bitten so hard I think I’m bleeding I simply move him to the other side. Motherhood…crazy stuff.

One funny story to end on.

Right after the sacramental prayer I’ve made it a habit of leaning over and asking Lizzie what we think about during the sacrament. Then I feel like an awesome mom when she happily says, “Jesus!” just loud enough to be heard by several pews. A few Sundays ago Lizzie was in a super grumpy mood, so when I leaned over to ask her what we think about during the sacrament she broke the silence with a loud, “No! I don’t like Jesus!”

Yep. Nothing like a two-year-old to keep this mom humble.


9 comments:

Rachel said...

I love you so much. :)

Alison said...

You are an awesome mom, Emily. And I say potty in adult conversation all the time these days. ;)

Carrie said...

em, i miss you so much! this made me so happy. i've been thinking about you so much today! i was doing some organizing and going through a few boxes i've neglected under the bed for a while and i came across a number of thoughtful cards from you and lizzie's baby announcement too! thanks for being such a great friend.

Unknown said...

haha this cracks me up! Em, you need to let me know how school is going!

The Lindes said...

Haha! I love Lizzie!

Kenon said...

You are hilarious Emily...and a great writer. I especially loved the visual of you getting bitten and switching sides. :) Yesterday we were out with some friends and I said, "For realsies?" I felt like an idiot. Or...when you are in a car with only adults and you say, "Look at the horse! or the train! or the dump truck!"

Becca said...

Oh man, I can totally empathize, especially with using kid-speak in adult conversation. I also frequently start to spell things out, even when Jack's not around -- like telling someone we went to the p-a-r-k today. Yowsas :).

Heather said...

Love your list, Emily! I miss you so much! The boys and I need to plan a day to come down and visit. Let me know your plans this next month and we'll make it a date!

Seidi said...

Oh man. I miss Lizzy. I swear I'm getting dumber everyday. I need to stimulate my brain somehow. Love you.