Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Growing Up


Lizzie is just about 20 months old, and as much as I am looking foreward to all the exciting things coming up in our lives...like a new baby, for example...I sometimes have a hard time with change. I wish I could slow down time a little bit. Lizzie is finally picking up all kinds of new words. For the longest time all I could get out of her was "shoes," "juice," and "cheese," but now there are too many words to list. (Of course, "shoes" is still a favorite.) She's even started to form phrases like, "shoes side" which translates to "I need to put on my shoes because I want to go outside." She ALWAYS wants to be outside. Another common expression is, "locked keys," which means "I want to play in the car, but it's locked so I need you to go get the keys." It's also adorable when, with a very concerned expression, she holds her hands out with her palms up and says, "Where'd go?" Sometimes she's referring to a person like grandma, who she calls "Moo Moo" (John actually assigned her that nickname), grandpa, who she calls "Papa, Uncle Nathan, who she calls "Nate", or our friend Caroline, who she calls "Ra Ra". Other times it's impossible to guess what she thinks has gone missing. As wonderful as she is, Lizzie has quite a temper and she's very opinionated. I'm pretty sure she thinks she's in charge. But she also has a good heart. When I tell her she needs to aks nicely she gives me a smile and says, "cheeeeze" (for please), and when I tell her to say sorry she gives me a big hug and a kiss. She's a sweetheart, and I wish she could stay little forever!

7 comments:

Alyssa/Jo said...

That is such an adorable picture! I'm glad Lizzie is living up the days when she can get away with wearing only a diaper and a cowboy hat. That garden is gorgeous too! Whose green thumb is responsible for that?

I get the biggest kick out of the "kid language" that is unique to each kid. I remember babysitting and not being able to understand what the littlest kids were saying and the older kids had to translate for me. haha!

Alison said...

AWESOME picture of her in the garden. I have a picture of a me as a little girl in nothing but a cowboy hat. It's a rite of passage for becoming a great woman. (just kidding.)
It's fun to see her little personality coming out. I also love how parents know exactly what their child means by just a few little words.

laradouglasphotography.blogspot.com said...

I've been feeling the same way about bentley latey...i just put him to bed and was thinking..he is going to be a teenaged before i know it andhis life wont revolve around his mommy:( Every day we have with them as little people is so special and is going by too fast.

Morgan said...

Sweet Emily. This reminds me that I still have photos from your shower I need to send. I have been super sick and haven't done much of anything in a couple months, but I will get them off to you soon. Could you email me your current address? ashiozawamiles@gmail.com

Thanks. Love you. Alli

The Lindes said...

the safari park looks like so much fun!

i understand the love/hate feelings towards growing up. Lizzie is so adorable! i love, love, love the picture in the garden.

p.s. we are getting so anxious for baby John to arrive :)

Naomi said...

I love hearing about Lizzy, because then I know what Polly will be up to in about 6 months! Polly isn't interested in words these days--she gets everything she needs simply by grunting and pointing emphatically enough :). Sometimes I worry that I accommodate her too much and don't give her motivation to actually ask nicely, use words, etc. Sigh. So glad that I can keep up on your life! I'm thinking about you and praying for you these days.

Ryan and Cheryl Harris said...

I forgot your blog is private and it hadn't shown up on my google reader that you'd posted so I hadn't checked it for months!! I've loved reading back over the past several posts and catching up on your life! Lizzie is a doll. What a fun, sweet age she's at! You look fabulous. The Safari park looked like a blast. I'm bummed we never made it down there. You're anniversary post made me cry. John was amazing. I just miss and love you and am so anxious to hear how the delivery goes....which is coming up any day now right? Love you girl!!!

Cheryl