Friday, June 18, 2010

John's Birth Story

Sunday June 13th came and went without any labor pains, and I was bummed. I went to see Dr. Walsh on Tuesday for my next checkup, and he said he was a little worried about the baby's heart rate and the fact that I hadn't been feeling him move as much. He was sure there was nothing to worry about but since I was 2 days past my due date anyway he suggested I be induced. I went home, grabbed my hospital bag and headed off to have a baby. I walked in with Lizzie asleep in my arms and a smile on my face...not the way I had imagined it.




Lizzie napped for a while while I got ready.

While I was packing my hospital bag Lizzie brought me this picture of John. I set it beside me as they started the pitocin, and felt sure he was there.


When Lizzie woke up the pitocin hadn't started to kick in yet, so we read some stories together. Things were going a little too well.


When the pitocin did start to kick in, things got crazy pretty quick. I was sure I was going to die. I planned on a long labor (Lizzie took 18 hours), and I think the nurse expected it to take a lot longer too. I went from feeling OK to dying in a few minutes. When I was finally able to communicate to the nurse that I was ready for the epidural it was a little late. It took a long time for the doctor to come, and when he did get there he had to administer it very slowly because I have low blood pressure. Unfortunately it didn't kick in until I was ready to start pushing. After the 4th push the doctor said the baby's heart rate had dropped significantly and told me I had to get the baby out on the next push. I believed him and made the 5th push the last.

I've never experienced such extraordinary pain, but it's amazing how you forget it even happened as soon as that baby is in your arms. I just stared at my little angel, not even caring that a giant fishhook looking things was being used to stich up my episiotomy.


John Edward Jones II was born at 7:23 pm on Tuesday June 15th. He was 8lbs 2oz and 19in long. The nurse had to rough him up a bit because he didn't want to cry.





I don't know what I would have done without my sweet mom. She was by my side the whole time.






Lizzie is pretty excited about her new little brother. The whole experience went over really well thanks to a lot of help from my mom, dad, brother Nathan, and friend Caroline. Nathan ("Nate") showed Lizzie the wonders of a wheelchair, which I'm sure everyone on the maternity floor really appreciated. Caroline ("RaRa") was there to play with her every time we needed an extra hand, and my sweet dad ("Papa") took care of her every night while my mom stayed with me in the hospital. My mom ("Moomoo") took care of pretty much everything else. Thank heavens for family.





Baby John brought Lizzie a present, a duck purse filled with treats and a locket for a picture of the 2 of them. That was my mom's brilliant idea. Now lizzie doesn't want to go anywhere without her duck purse.

Thursday afternoon we ditched the hospital wardrobe and came home exhausted but happier than ever. I feel so blessed to have the two most wonderful kids in the world, and I'm excited to start life as a family of 4!



15 comments:

Mary Beck said...

EMM!!! Okay. I've been checking your blog like 2 times a day so I'm SO glad you posted so much of the story for us. And how is it you can look so pretty in all of your new mom pictures?? I mean honestly, your face is like.. so thin! Alright, John II is adorable. i'm sure his dad took good care of him up until the second he arrived. I bet it was a pretty neat feeling in the room. I'd love to chat, one day here when things slow down I'll give you a call. I love you so much.

Becca Meservy said...

aaaawwwww! I just love you guys!!! From the pictures, John II looks just like his sister who looks just like her Daddy. Pretty much only the fact that you birthed them makes me think they're yours! Well, actually, Lizzie does look a bit like your dad, so maybe we're on to something... ;D
I'm so glad you are all doing well and I wish we lived closer so our girls could have play dates.
Love ya!

emily and logan said...

i know exactly the kind of pain you're talking about, emily. not cool. i REALLLLLY need your address, too! i have something to send to you!

Janis Aden said...

Congratulations Emily! I am so excited to see lil John. He is beautiful. You look beautiful as always. I just had a good crying reading your blog. You write so beautifully. I know John was there the whole time like he promised. Oh Emily I am so proud of you. You did it. You are going to be such a great mom to these two beautiful spirits. Your spirit glows just like John's. I love you and miss you greatly my dear dear Emily.

Alison said...

I, also, have been checking your blog obsessively. Except for today, when you post! Baby John is so cute and Lizzie looks like a proud big sister.

The Lindes said...

first of all, you look amazing! second, little John is just adorable and (to me) does look like John. third, Lizzie is still just a doll!

we are so excited for you. give your kids a hug and a kiss from the linde family! we love you all!

Ashley Jackson said...

Congratulations Emily!! You are so beautiful and little John is so precious!! I am so glad that everything went well and you made it through. You are amazing!:)

Carrie said...

oh em! i'm so happy for you!!! thanks for posting pictures and your birth story! i hope i have as good of an experience as you!

ps- i still want to come visit... last time i saw you, you were freshly pregnant with lizzie. and judging from these pictures, that was WAY too long ago!

heather said...

Thank you for sharing this with us all - it is such a striking example of your testimony and love for family! Baby John looks so handsome and perfect in every way - what a blessing!! Ryan and I are both so happy for you and continue to pray for you and your family - we love you!!

Naomi said...

I love you, Emily--thanks so much for posting this story. From what I can tell, Baby John wanted to hang out with his dad for as long as possible, but then Dad John told him to get the heck down to earth and meet his amazing mother :). I'll be thinking about and praying for you over the next several weeks. Fingers crossed that Baby John sleeps for you!

Maria said...

I love the pictures emily. you look amazing and John jr. couldn't be any cuter!!! what precious kids you have and you're an amazing mother! Hearing about your labor makes me hurt but it's true how you forget everything once they're here. What a blessing to have him here safe and sound. He's adorable. I hope everything continues to go well. Love ya

Ryan and Cheryl Harris said...

YAYAYAY!!!!! Thank you so much for this post. John is such a cute little baby boy. You are a rockstar. I'm mad they weren't able to get you an epidural sooner. I'm demanding mine the second they'll give it to me. Oh I hope I can meet baby John soon. I miss you and am so proud of you. Love you Emily!!!

Alyssa/Jo said...

Congrats! All the pics are beautiful and I can't believe how amazing you look after giving birth. You are one incredible woman! I still have people asking me how you are doing. I keep them updated and they are in awe of you. I'm excited to see your cute family continue to grow up!

Heather said...

Emily! I'm so glad you posted your story! John is a precious little baby and Lizzie looks so happy. You look fantastic! I thought about you a lot yesterday, thinking about how bitter-sweet Father's Day must have been for you, loving John for the wonderful man that he is, but missing him with all your heart, especially now. I love you and can't wait to see baby John in person! George has his OB/GYN rotation down there sometime soon, so you'll be seeing us! Let me know if you need anything!

Seidi said...

Oh Em!!! I'm so glad things went well. I can't wait to talk to you!! Call me whenever is good for you, but I totaly understand if it's not for a while. I'm sure you are VERY busy right now. Love you! You look so beautiful and John is darling! I can't wait to meet him! Let's talk so we can plan when I can come out there! Miss you like crazy! Love you and I love little Lizzy and John! I know John's with you! Love you, Em!!!